Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Defrag files and separation Reward $1
Created by cadendadd, 143 days ago, 998 views

Why will all the files not go together? They all stay separated all over the disk
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

ChessKing143 days ago

Defragmentation is the process of rearranging pieces of a single file so that the overall percentage of fragmentation is reduced, and all files (if possible) are located on adjacent sectors. Due to this, the reading will be continuous, which will have a positive impact on the speed of the HDD. This is especially noticeable when reading large files.

• downvote

thsigit142 days ago

It is related to how the hard disk drive works with the Read or Write process on the hard disk.

In the old computer days, data are stored in magnetic fields of a high speed rotating disk. Thus, it is better to Write a file in separated blocks because the hard drive head can easily read the beginning and the end of the blocks that constitute a file, without waiting to fully finished storing a file before writing other files to the same disk. Files can be written simultaneously to the disk until the process completed and computer ready to do other tasks. Imagine how long we must wait if the hard drive head must finish writing one file before another, just for the sake of collecting all the blocks into one large, continuous block.

This, however, has a drawback, because this could means that one file is scattered into multiple blocks on the hard disk. And, the more the scattered the blocks, it will take more time, too, for the hard disk drive to Read each files. This is where we need defragment tool. Its purpose is to reunite the scattered blocks into a larger, more compacted blocks to speed up the Read process.

This problem has been solved for a long time in Linux, where data is cached in a separate partition before written to the hard disk, and in Windows 10, where defragmenting is a background process when computer is idle --no need a manual start.

Now we have SSD, instead of disks. I am not sure how it works because I do not have the opportunity to observe it, however I believe that the Read/Write process is different. Unlike old hard disks, SSD doesn't have "disks".

• downvote

ha14142 days ago

@cadendadd

even if all files have been defragmented, subsequent changes to critical files could cause them to become fragmented. Only by running an entire defrag operation can one hope that they might be defragmented again.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/contig

Something about Disk Fragmentation
https://www.minitool.com/lib/disk-fragmentation.html

By intelligently writing files to the disk without fragmentation, your hard drive read/write heads can then read a file that is all lined up side by side in one location, rather than jumping to multiple spots just to access a single file.
IntelliWrite® write I/O optimization technology prevents files from being fractured and broken apart into pieces, with each piece requiring its own I/O operation before being written to disk or SSD in a non-sequential manner. This stops the Windows phenomena of fragmentation from occurring before it becomes a problem.
http://www.condusiv.com/business/diskeeper/professional/features/

A solid state drive stores data altogether in one unit, and it accesses memory randomly other than sequentially like an HDD.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/defrag-an-ssd.html

• downvote

windstrider23137 days ago

@cadendadd This analogy demonstrates the significance of defragging your hard drive. You will not only save your time but also space on your hard drive. If you return to the area analogy, you may also be able to comprehend the second reason why it is critical to defrag hard drive. It is because when things are nicely put in a clean room or in your defragged hard disk drive, you will see more space. Hard drive space is saved when you ensure all of the data is set in the proper spot. So, it is very critical to defrag hard drive.

• downvote

abdelrahman1130 days ago

Best Defrag Software 2018 - When to Use a Disk ...

http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/utilities/best-disk-defragmenter-software/

• downvote

jempetts124 days ago

@cadendadd
If they won't go together, Did you have permission to defrag as admin?

• downvote

jempetts124 days ago

did the defrag program run?

• downvote

Horald22111 days ago

nijpipigi i8y7ho 8yho

• downvote

Wyate84 days ago

SSD drives will not move data around if it is not truly fragmented. this would actually shorten the life span of the disk.

on a traditional drive, certain types of encryption will prevent the moving of the files. As stated above by another user, if it is not a fragmented file, the data will not be moved.

• downvote

cazzone5080 days ago

Meet the free app Icecream PDF Split & Merge that does exactly what it says; It allows you to quickly and simply separate and merge PDF files. You can divide documents into single page files, get rid of certain pages, and do more by using the various separation modes that the tools offer. Separate and combine any PDF file without any number limitation, and even work on password protected files. The software also comes with an installed PDF reader to make it more useful. Easily combine PDF files.

• downvote

nikol14845 days ago

I also heard about this app Icecream PDF Split & Mergen. It helps in this matter.

• downvote

Milcah1218 days ago

Discord servers also has several text chat channels as well as personal messages between users. This is great when you can not or do not want to use voice communication channels to chat.
https://discord-servers.io

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    Lostmine Where can I check online football matches results?
    mehk_kanwal How to make an Andriod apps without coding Offline on PC?
    amarinho07 Missing notpad icon
    KeThomas91 Iphone x ringtone sound fades in and out randomly
    marryjoesph How to convert OST to PST in safe manner?
    ilyamossss Problem my phone
    termezo What software for working with COM ports do you know?
    rrs9747 How to convert py to exe
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    chakramed won $1
    chakramed won $1
    ha14 won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    eradaec won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    lybwrsh won $1
    PeteLFX won $1
    Latest Topics
    marryjoesph How to convert OST to PST in safe manner?
    mickmilton99 Gmail Customer Service Phone Number
    rrs9747 How to convert py to exe
    termezo What software for working with COM ports do you know?
    ilyamossss Problem my phone
    KeThomas91 Iphone x ringtone sound fades in and out randomly
    mehk_kanwal How to make an Andriod apps without coding Offline on PC?
    amarinho07 Missing notpad icon
    Lostmine Where can I check online football matches results?
    Wobr_Bobr Searching zip codes
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.