Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Loosing Programs Icons on W10 Reward $1
Created by DenisLesage, 82 days ago, 889 views

Since 3 days, softwares icons on w10 desktop disappeared. Once more this morning, Wise Uninstaller Icon has been replaced by a blank one. Softwares are still in computer but not easy to retrieve. Why (and how to repair)?

The problem seems to be limited to icons of softwares not part of w10.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

ha1482 days ago

@DenisLesage

what you did exactly?
if you have a windows restore point use it ti revert back just before the accident.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Black-Desktop-Icons-in-Windows-7

Sfc /scannow
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-run-sfc-command-windows-10-a.html

How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html

• downvote

CoolCat81 days ago

Hi @DenisLesage

1. Scan PC for viruses.

2. Look for recently installed programs, especially downloaded from the Internet.

3. Auto arrange icons:

- Right click on a blank area on your Desktop
- Hover on View
- In the right pane, look for Auto arrange icons. If it’s checked, make sure to uncheck it.
- Hover on View, again
- This time, check Align icons to grid.

4. Check Windows Task Sheduler, perhaps it has deleted unused shortcuts.

5. Clear Icon cache:

- Close all folder windows that are currently open.
- Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
- In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
- Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
- From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
- Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
- In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a

- This should clear the icon cache in Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10.

- Additionally, in Windows 8 and Windows 10, icon cache database is also stored in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer. To clear them, you must close all running applications, and run these commands in the Command Prompt. If you receive Access is Denied error when running the deleting the IconCache*.db files, then one or more of the open programs is using the icon cache database. Close all programs and try again, or try clearing them from Safe mode.

CD %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
DEL IconCache*.db /a
EXIT

- In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
- Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

6. Reassociate file types with this program - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-association-fixer-2-windows-10-8-7

- After installing select ink checkbox and click Fix.

• downvote

Tsuby70 days ago

Are the programs on a server or an external storage and you are using them locally? If so, if for some reason the local pc did not connect to the server properly, it might delete the "left-over" icons on the desktop.
It happened to me more than once.
It has to do with the "System Maintenance troubleshooter".
See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978980/desktop-shortcuts-disappear-in-windows-7
It also apply to win10 afaik (at least in my case :-) )

• downvote

galdorf151 days ago

I had the same issue - seems on 3/30 Microsoft released a mixed reality portal app - The app lets you place holograms in a Mixed Reality environment of a Mixed Reality Portal. The app allows you to use holographic label makers in order to write text to your space. ME -- i would neither use it nor need to waste memory and like others have it slow down the computer to a crawl plus alot of peeps having trouble with it. I used CC Cleaner and removed the app (could also use settings-apps- remove)- it is called mixed reality. The issue with the edge, the diff icons,and the blue background disappeared.

• downvote

9970136 days ago

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10 released
RECOMMENDED: Click here to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10 is a portable freeware that will purge, clear and delete your Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder in a click.
If your icons appear blank or look corrupted or do not refresh correctly, when they should, then it is quite possible that your icon cache database may have become corrupted in on your Windows 10 PC. The same thing applies to Thumbnails too. If they do not display correctly then they may have become corrupted. In such a scenario, you may need to delete the cache files in order to rebuild the Icon cache and clear the Thumbnail cache. We have already seen how to rebuild Icon cache in Windows 10 manually – but if-if you prefer to automate the process, use our Icon cache Rebuilder 2 for Windows 10.
Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder

Once you have downloaded the zip file, extract its contents and run the .exe file. You might want to create a system restore point first.
If you are having problems with Thumbnails or Icons not displaying correctly, open Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder, Check the delete Icon cache or Delete Thumbnail Cache or both, depending on your requirement.
Next click Rebuild, wait for Explorer to refresh itself.

Restart your computer. Once your computer restarts it will build a new Cache.

Do note that ending Icon Cache Rebuilder before it finishes can result in Windows giving you an error for your user profile as it needs to refresh Explorer and restart your computer to rebuild the Icon Cache.

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder has been created by TWC Author Lavish Thakkar for The Windows Club.
If you have any questions or wish to give feedback, you may do so at TWC Forum.

Windows 7 / 8 users can use Icon Cache Rebuilder v1. Download it (It is Free to Keep and Use as many Times as you want to. Just be Sure to Keep the Zip File and Remember where it is, so if you need to Run it again you can. The Instructions are Included.) Download website: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/icon-cache-rebuilder-for-windows-10

• downvote

Taj6 days ago

Check your System Drive or C: Drive space.
And make sure you have more than 500mb free there.

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    lisameister Installing INTel wireless LAN Driver
    rosar How do you guys speed up a mac?
    ChessKing The problem with the speed of the Internet on Yandex browser
    jave Have you used some warehouse management software?
    krunal I cannot open wise folder hider
    hored Recommend me some good inventory management software, please
    Lostmine Mattress question
    ronaldeweathley Wise Driver Care.
    1233 Win10 how to remove the installed memory (RAM)?
    danielebonaa Wise registry cleaner error
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    ha14 won $1
    ha14 won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    chakramed won $1
    WiseCleaner_admin won $1
    Ruberoid78 won $1
    chakramed won $1
    chakramed won $3
    chakramed won $1
    Latest Topics
    1233 Win10 how to remove the installed memory (RAM)?
    magicjack Why is my iphone magicjack not working
    ronaldeweathley Wise Driver Care.
    Lostmine Mattress question
    ChessKing The problem with the speed of the Internet on Yandex browser
    danielebonaa Wise registry cleaner error
    hored Recommend me some good inventory management software, please
    krunal I cannot open wise folder hider
    lisameister Installing INTel wireless LAN Driver
    jave Have you used some warehouse management software?
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.