Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Have your say on net neutrality. Reward $1
Created by nathanq, 163 days ago, 1284 views

What do you think about net neutrality.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

ahmed58162 days ago

I think the answer to this essentially comes down to a few different factors.
1. What are subscriber fees paying for?
2. Is all data equal (and therefore should be billed the same)?
3. What is the right way to bill for data?

TL;DR. It depends. I think either position is fine, but the business practices and policies of the ISP should be consistent. Pick one and be fair about the position. Fees should reflect actual costs and a reasonable profit margin and should not allow anyone to get paid twice for the same service (though getting paid once with partial payments from multiple parties is fine).

Subscriber Fees
Based on what I've seen in ISP marketing literature, investor information, and through public FCC filings, the ISP's are claiming subscriber fees are the primary means they claim to fund maintenance and growth of internet service infrastructure.

Based on what I've seen in their public media statements, subscriber fees only cover a portion of internet service infrastructure.

I don't think either is an unreasonable position, but ISP business practices, governmental regulations, and internet-based businesses should consistently reflect one of those positions.

Today, it appears to me that they are trying to have it both ways and hide the fact they are actually getting paid twice. This would be similar to UPS charging the sender $15 and the receiver $10 for a delivery, but not telling either party that the other has paid a fee. Then, telling investors it actually costs $5 to deliver that package and the media that they're being abused by the receiver.

Data Equality
Another question is why video services should be singled out as paying for bandwidth, but not all other service? If the data is treated equally (that is, the data packet gets the same priority in their network as any other), shouldn't the data be billed at roughly equal cost (to whoever pays for it)?

Why is there a difference in the payment demands between downloading 1024 1MB pictures from a social network or photo service versus streaming a single 1024MB episode from a video service? Shouldn't both services be expected to pay the same cost for the same "strain" they put on ISP's?

(Obviously, this is a simplification and you can measure "strain" on a network different ways--MB's is just an example)

This issue becomes even more confusing where a customer is paying per GB. In essence, the ISP has said that a packet of data is the same "cost" regardless of the type of service or time of day. So in that case, shouldn't the fees paid by service providers be the same per GB (if any) regardless of the type of service?

Billing Data
Exactly what is the right way to charge for data? Peak bandwidth? Bytes of data transferred? Number of connections? Latency?

If the cost of infrastructure should be shared between subscribers and video service providers, what's the right way to account for the usage of of infrastructure?

ISP's charge their customers by max theoretical bandwidth (not actual bandwidth delivered) and number of bytes transmitted (up and down).

Transit providers charge by peak bandwidth actually consumed (not theoretical).

Data centers charge by ports and floor space (among other factors).

Peering costs are one of or some combination of the above or completely arbitrary (and usually secret between companies).

These methods of billing are not exactly interchangeable. So which one is the right way to account for the strain on infrastructure? And how do we make sure that ISP's aren't getting paid twice for the same service?

• downvote

MAKEROFMONY2162 days ago

hi
read this:http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42348041
or:https://aminoapps.com/c/creepypasta-amino-xx/page/blog/have-your-say-in-saving-net-neutrality/D8gl_J8KTPuLWBdPazwPXPYdEdegkK21330

• downvote

nathanq162 days ago

@ahmed58
For future dont copy and paste someone elses post from a different website.
https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-think-of-net-neutrality

• downvote

apkpureto82 days ago

However, there is no age limit for playing computer games. In fact, these days, there are some games that are especially made for adult people. These adult games are very much praised by the people of this apkpure.to.Types of computer Anger Of Stick

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    termezo What's some good games for a young child can you recommend?
    Lostmine House movers reviews
    Franklee What's the best online language course?
    Moonchulhwan Computer format problem
    Stardust How hard is to build your own app?
    kalash Hidden folders hidden
    darkpsinight ..................................
    Pongo2016 ZBook 15 heat up
    Wuveth Car/racing games
    Brett578 Maintenance does not work in HP pc windows 8.1
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    ChessKing won $1
    Adamsh won $1
    ha14 won $1
    tecask_support won $1
    CuteFairy won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ha14 won $1
    ha14 won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    Latest Topics
    tecask_support How can I reset my Google account password if I forgot my password and recovery number?
    Franklee What's the best online language course?
    kalash Hidden folders hidden
    Brett578 Maintenance does not work in HP pc windows 8.1
    Wuveth Car/racing games
    Dimka14 Какие хорошие программы для монтажа вы можете порекомендовать?
    Pongo2016 ZBook 15 heat up
    Lostmine House movers reviews
    mbeli Found a weird file name anyone know what it is?
    mbeli Win 7 Ultimate system restore and Google are not working HELP
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.