Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

How to wipe/erase hard drive from CMD prompt? Reward $1
Created by chamine, 188 days ago, 1787 views

How to wipe/erase hard drive from CMD prompt?
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

djmarkm2k14187 days ago

if your your drive letter starts with a D: or it could E: or F:, you cannot Format your main drive by command promt which is C:

example change "D" to your drive letter you are formatting
FORMAT D: /FS:NTFS
or depend what file system you want, most windows uses NTFS or for it to be read by playstion as backup drive or old machines exFAT, FAT32
FORMAT D: /FS:FAT32

as you can see my drive letters are C:, F:, M:, make sure you have backup your files first before formatting your disk drive

• downvote

chamine187 days ago

Cheers i'm using windows 10 i rename drive C: add line in CMD FORMAT D: /FS:NTFS correct?
Will format neutralise any virus as well?
That's the reason why i want reformat.

• downvote

djmarkm2k14187 days ago

FORMAT D: /FS:NTFS is correct,

it may clear any viruses it depend it could attach itself onto the boot sector, and formatting it will not clear it.
best thing to do is, you can a get free antivirus from https://sharewareonsale.com/product-tag/giveaway+active-deals?os=windows
free antivirus like Bitdefender with six month free subscription,

when the subscription runs out, go back to the site and download a new copy with new serial, for another free six months, it better than 30days trial, and you end up having free antivirus for life :) or register with a different email address and you get several serial keys with six months subscription.

also you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
this free to download,

this will wipe the partition on your hard and also format it, and will clear the viruses that is attached to the boot sector, if you are unsure how to use it please get back and message and let me know and i will post examples for you

install antivirus first before using the MiniTool Partition Wizard

• downvote

chamine186 days ago

Thanks for the priceless info.I'm using ESET Internet Security (paid licence for two years would share key with u if u want) and Hitman Pro as a second opinion.MiniTool Partition Wizard no idea how to use i also tried "windows to go" as i have a FREECOM 2TB USB drive but windows says You running windows 10 enterprise which cannot be used for "windows to go".
My idea was copy windows onto USB drive restart from it and wipe drive C: and reinstall OS.
Any suggestion?

• downvote

nathanq186 days ago

To erase and format go to command prompt and type "format c:/".

replace the "c" with the drive letter of your choice but please be aware that once this has started you will lose everything stored on the drive you have chosen.

If you want to delete the drive as you are throwing it away. Get some safety goggles, a large hammer and have fun ;-)

• downvote

OneParaProfessional180 days ago

Some of these answers are irrelevant.

Open command prompt WinKey+R Type: CMD
Type: diskpart
Then Type: list disk

You will see all your partitions listed.

Type: select disk #
The # is the disk you want to kill

Type: list partition
The output will display a 0 and 1

Type: select partition 0

Type: delete partition

Type: select partition 1

Type: create partition primary
This will create a new partition for the drive you killed.

Type: exit

Restart your computer or create a batch file on your desktop. Open notepad:

Copy & Paste: shutdown -r -f -t 1

File Save as: res.bat

Click it, pc restarts fast.

Log Back in and click start, right click my computer and select Manage (windows 7)
Right-click the Start button and select “Disk Management" (windows 10)

Under storage select Disk Management.

There you can manage your partitions in basic mode.

P.P.
( I'm on reddit too! Giving advice to noobs about relationship values LOL )

• downvote

bitokazuhiro09180 days ago

Fix network connection flicker: ipconfig

One of the first things that network administrators can do to fix a flawed network connection to a computer is to check the automatic IP allocation feature (DHCP) through the ipconfig command.

In particular, the administrator must first enter ipconfig / release to release the IP address, then enter ipconfig / renew to allocate a new IP address for this device.

In addition, if you enter only the ipconfig command, the system displays details about the Internet connection on the device, including the current IP address, gateway address, and router address.

Network connection test: Ping

When you have problems connecting to another website or computer on your local network, Windows provides a ready command to help you quickly determine the status of your network, the Ping command.

At the Command Prompt window, type "ping IP address or webpage path" then press Enter.

At this point, based on the data that this command line returns, you can tell exactly whether the internet or network lan is working properly and quickly put in place other appropriate operations.

Fix system files: sfc (system file checker)

If you find that your computer is constantly getting corrupted or experiencing problems during startup, the most likely cause is that the Windows system files are corrupted, missing, or even changed when you install a program, some software on the computer.

At this point, instead of looking for third-party software to fix, you can use the Windows System File Checker (SFC) utility to scan, verify, and repair corrupted files. on the system.

And to do so, in the Command Prompt window, type sfc / scannow.

Once confirmed, Windows will proceed to scan and fix issues related to system files. Note, the operating system will take about 5 - 10 minutes, depending on your computer.

Check the battery details: powercfg

Powercfg is a hidden Windows command-line tool for customizing power-related settings on mobile devices. Thanks to this command line, you get detailed information about battery status on your computer

Accordingly, after activating the powercfg / energy command, the operating system will analyze the power usage of the computer for 60 seconds, then report it using the HTLM file (stored in the System32 folder) with Information about the power consumption as well as configuration information of the machine.

Details about the battery status after entering the command will be displayed in the HTML file.

In addition, you can also enter the powercfg / batteryreport command to display all detailed information about your computer's battery status, including battery life, battery life for a certain period of time.

• downvote

maren180 days ago

First try to erase viruses with HIREN'S BOOT CD there is some AV, with this tool you also can to format any partition.
Its very good freeware tool, just burn this on bootable cd, and run this from your cd rom.

• downvote

Hello,

This thread was started asking about how to kill/wipe a partition. Not Dos ipconfig command for DNS or Powercfg.

Both are elementary and looks like you copied and pasted it from.a reputable source. That also could be sniffed out tracing your IP and origin.

The user who started the thread did not ask about antivirus either. Stick to the topic.

P.P.

( I'm on reddit too! Giving advice to noobs about relationship values LOL )

• downvote

My bad, he did mention AV.

My apology.

P.P.

• downvote

voineaadi172 days ago

format C:
format d:
format e:
etc
Until you are done with all of your partitions
that is all

• downvote

galken164 days ago

If any page has quality posts like yours then I will search for information very quickly. Please donate again.

http://colour-switch.com

• downvote

sandipguchait163 days ago

@chamine
Well best honest opinion to see and do, so i recommend you to have a look on youtube.

• downvote

Zero03162 days ago

Honestly, to keep this simple, I would recommend you DO NOT wipe your entire disk, but instead use a system restore point (we still have those, you know, I don't know why people stopped using them and forgot about them). But if you use a system restore point, hopefully, you will not lose that much important work and the virus will be wiped anyway. For me, I had a virus that kept taking 100% of my disk usage to do whatever it was the virus was doing (not sure what it was doing) but I used a system restore point and it got rid of the virus completely. At first, I was like you and wanted to wipe my whole disk but this is surely a better solution, and its at least worth a try.
If it does not fix the problem, then I would recommend that you use Cortana and type "Settings" and open settings. Then go to UPDATE AND SECURITY, then go to RECOVERY, then select "Get Started" under the "Reset this PC" tab.
Though, if it still isn't working, your best shot is to install an anti-virus and hope it does its job well. I would suggest Malwarebytes (as it is the most sensitive to malware and your situation seems desperate)
Hope this helps!

• downvote

jeetkml162 days ago

Sorry, You can't format C: drive [system Drive]
If you want full clean your PC, [full Harddisk] , then you can do during BOOT, but it's fully clean your PC.
If you want clean only System Drive and Re-install Windows by delete only C partition.[ Download Windows ISO form official site]
If you want delete only virus from System then try Microsoft Defender offline scan.
If you want clean installation Windows 10, open setting and reset you PC [without recovery media Disc]

• downvote

99701149 days ago

@chamine
First, BACK UP Your Documents, Pictures, Music, and anything else you want to have later, on an External Drive. Write this down or Save it Elsewhere that you can Access it from so you will be able to read this.
Open command prompt WinKey+R Type: CMD
Then Type: list disc
(Then you will see all your partitions listed.)

The # is the disk you want to kill

Type: list partition
The output will display a 0 and 1

Type: select partition 0

Type: select partition 1

Type: create partition primary
This will create a new partition for the drive you killed.

Type: exit

Restart your computer or create a batch file on your desktop. Open notepad:

Copy & Paste: shutdown -r -f -t 1

File Save as: res.bat

Click it, pc restarts fast.

Log Back in and click start, right click my computer and select Manage (windows 7)
Right-click the Start button and select “Disk Management" (windows 10)

Under storage select Disk Management.

There you can manage your partitions in basic mode. Hope this helps.

• downvote

mehome140 days ago

In the CMD prompt
Then Type: list disc
(you will see all your physical disk, mounted on PC)
(The # is the disk you want to clean (carefully! be sure which disk you do select)
Type: clean - to erase all partitions on the selected disk. After it you have to format it again
OR
Type: clean all - to wipe all bytes on the selected disk replacing them by zeros

• downvote

neiljakson140 days ago

Great nice post which I have seen on youtube already . thanks for sharing it ,,
http://www.affordable-dissertation.co.uk/dissertation-writing-services-uk/

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    himdol88 Please let me know the way to check hide files.
    AMITK Why windows store games more smooth and take less cpu+ram work then other?
    limtengyong Wise Anti Malware Pro
    AMITK Best way to use cracked software for just temporary?
    debbiejohnson1254 How to recover corrupted Exchange server EDB file data
    cotaone Disk defragmenter not allowing me to position files
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    ha14 won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    chakramed won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    dastkhat won $5
    ChessKing won $1
    Adamsh won $1
    ha14 won $1
    tecask_support won $1
    Latest Topics
    cotaone Disk defragmenter not allowing me to position files
    termezo Where I can find best flight deals?
    bigwrench K7 Total security
    Stardust What is a sealy hybrid mattress?
    AMITK Best way to use cracked software for just temporary?
    AMITK Why windows store games more smooth and take less cpu+ram work then other?
    limtengyong Wise Anti Malware Pro
    debbiejohnson1254 How to recover corrupted Exchange server EDB file data
    himdol88 Please let me know the way to check hide files.
    tecask How to contact norton antivirus technical support customer service phone number ?
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.