Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Is there will be any problem if one go for non LTS version Reward $1
Created by Aravi, 81 days ago, 256 views

As good as I understand, If I Install non LTS ubuntu 17 support will over by jan 2018. I will be out of support till stable release of next LTS18.

I will not like to risk my personal data. So should I install 16 & wait for 18 stable release. Or ubuntu 17 is enough solid and I can trust.

Please advise me and share your experience.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

thsigit77 days ago

I've been installing Ubuntu, and using it on a daily basis, on various machines since 10.04. Recently I exchange my laptop (Intel core i3 2570 with 2GB RAM, multiple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu 16.04, OpenSUSE, Debian 8, Fedora 24) with another one (Intel core i5, 4GB RAM, dual boot: Win 7, Win 10). I need to install Linux (any version will be fine) so I choose Ubuntu 17.04 for a simple reason: it doesn't require you to create a swap partition.

As you may aware of, for Ubuntu 16.10 and earlier, during install, it will require you to create a swap partition and if you don't want to do that you can create your own swapfile for this purpose. Ubuntu 17.04 by default saves you the trouble --no need to create swap partition or swapfile, no references whatsoever in /etc/fstab re: swap.

As for (major) upgrades, I see no problems regarding your personal data or software. You can always use "sudo apt update || sudo apt upgrade" for minor upgrades, and "sudo apt update || sudo apt dist-upgrade" for upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10, and from 17.10 to 18.04, and so on. In fact I on the aforementioned laptop I continuously updated from Ubuntu 14.04, to 15.04, and finally to 16.04. I can't just miss the new release every April of the year.

All over the year, the files, the partition, etc still remain intact. It is maybe worth noted that I use a separate partition for /home directory, and a separate /data directory shared between Windows and Linux.

• downvote

Aravi77 days ago

Hi @thsigit

Thanks. I know debian based destro are more stable. I will try 17 non lst. As you advise I will keep my file in separate Dir.

• downvote

rhett_boyd76 days ago

ubuntu 17 and relax

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    lybwrsh Make my laptop charge faster
    pleaseAnswerMe I want to access MYSQL Database on 000webhost hosting service
    chengkailu 綱頁架設現在綱站的資料只剩下這四個當初光碟備份的請問有辦法透過wp復原
    AAA1992 Create Virtual Phone number any country??
    Teresita How do you earn online by using apps on cell phone?
    pleaseAnswerMe I can't find the file that will make me install code::blocks
    ChessKing Email Collectors
    yousifalnaier2 Change the IP address problem
    yousifalnaier2 My balance account
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    Tika won $4
    ZzMrXzZ won $2
    ha14 won $1
    nuklin won $1
    AAA1992 won $1
    ha14 won $1
    Karmadyota won $1
    ha14 won $1
    layls1071 won $1
    chakramed won $1
    Latest Topics
    Fatemeh How to minimize Windows 7?
    rohinraha Windows 10 update
    pleaseAnswerMe I can't find the file that will make me install code::blocks
    yousifalnaier2 My balance account
    yousifalnaier2 Change the IP address problem
    Teresita How do you earn online by using apps on cell phone?
    pleaseAnswerMe I want to access MYSQL Database on 000webhost hosting service
    AAA1992 Create Virtual Phone number any country??
    lybwrsh Make my laptop charge faster
    ChessKing Email Collectors
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.