Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Is there will be any problem if one go for non LTS version Reward $1
Created by Aravi, 139 days ago, 324 views

As good as I understand, If I Install non LTS ubuntu 17 support will over by jan 2018. I will be out of support till stable release of next LTS18.

I will not like to risk my personal data. So should I install 16 & wait for 18 stable release. Or ubuntu 17 is enough solid and I can trust.

Please advise me and share your experience.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

thsigit134 days ago

I've been installing Ubuntu, and using it on a daily basis, on various machines since 10.04. Recently I exchange my laptop (Intel core i3 2570 with 2GB RAM, multiple boot: Win 10, Ubuntu 16.04, OpenSUSE, Debian 8, Fedora 24) with another one (Intel core i5, 4GB RAM, dual boot: Win 7, Win 10). I need to install Linux (any version will be fine) so I choose Ubuntu 17.04 for a simple reason: it doesn't require you to create a swap partition.

As you may aware of, for Ubuntu 16.10 and earlier, during install, it will require you to create a swap partition and if you don't want to do that you can create your own swapfile for this purpose. Ubuntu 17.04 by default saves you the trouble --no need to create swap partition or swapfile, no references whatsoever in /etc/fstab re: swap.

As for (major) upgrades, I see no problems regarding your personal data or software. You can always use "sudo apt update || sudo apt upgrade" for minor upgrades, and "sudo apt update || sudo apt dist-upgrade" for upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10, and from 17.10 to 18.04, and so on. In fact I on the aforementioned laptop I continuously updated from Ubuntu 14.04, to 15.04, and finally to 16.04. I can't just miss the new release every April of the year.

All over the year, the files, the partition, etc still remain intact. It is maybe worth noted that I use a separate partition for /home directory, and a separate /data directory shared between Windows and Linux.

• downvote

Aravi134 days ago

Hi @thsigit

Thanks. I know debian based destro are more stable. I will try 17 non lst. As you advise I will keep my file in separate Dir.

• downvote

rhett_boyd134 days ago

ubuntu 17 and relax

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    paulwestlake1944 Byte Fence Software
    bunnynv Autoplay stopped working
    richlandvaughans_4992 Scrolling issue on my laptop
    caturpoker99 How to creat a bot and play?
    TrevorKith What kind of bed is the most comfortable?
    Teresita Is investing in bitcoin safe?
    Teresita New usb flash drive already infected with virus
    lightcloud Is there a site where you can cash a check on your computer?
    lybwrsh How I can Exchange paypal to btc or Eth?
    blackcats Turning 18 years old and want to get into the IT field need help
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    yanka457 won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    muthu won $1
    Surfer won $1
    ha14 won $1
    sonmeoo won $1
    Phani won $2
    ha14 won $1
    nuklin won $1
    ha14 won $1
    Latest Topics
    lybwrsh How I can Exchange paypal to btc or Eth?
    Frank121 Is binary option trading a good way to earn money online?
    grems I need a set of blue dinnerware. Where to find one?
    TrevorKith What kind of bed is the most comfortable?
    ko4ga Problem running Wise care 365 pro registard
    caturpoker99 How to creat a bot and play?
    lightcloud Is there a site where you can cash a check on your computer?
    Wisnick Wisefolders gone missing
    paulwestlake1944 Byte Fence Software
    richlandvaughans_4992 Scrolling issue on my laptop
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.