Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

External hard drive Reward $110
Created by 19mitch65, 112 days ago, 423 views

My external hard drive not working just makes a few clicks and then nothing it is a large drive 1 terabyte. I use it as a backup drive and important file holder, NOW I need files on it and I can't access it
any ideas? , Will not work on any PC.
You do not understand all cords connected the Drive just clicks a few time then nothing.......
Computer acts like the external is not even there, and no no drops bangs bumps or magnets
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

ha14112 days ago

@19mitch65

try on another windows pc? if it works then it can be driver problem.

Open Device Manager
1) Check your exernal Hard Drive Is there anf if there is a Yellow sign near it?
2) If yes download a new driver from your manufacturer site and install
3) Or right click on your external hard drive (do not disconnect hard drive) anc choose uninstall (do not delete) then reboot.

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems
connect your external hard drive and run this microsoft fix it

• downvote

zrodfects111 days ago

@19mitch65

Do you get any sort of error messag?, I went through the same thing with a Bad Parameter message, I had to find and download some recovery software to get all my files, 2TB worth, but atleast I got them all back, took 5 days straight to scan the files though :(

Same thing happened to my smaller plug n play HDD....

You could first try the following, open "command prompt" and type the follow exact how you see it:

chkdsk /F /R /X H:

Change (H:) to the correct drive letter of your HDD that has the error, this sometimes fixes your drive to get it running again, but not always, it didnt work on my 2TB it still had errors, but it did work on my second HDD that also stopped working but it is now running fine, just let it do it's thing, it may seem like it isn't doing anything but leave it for a bit because it takes a few minutes even 20 minutes at times to start reading the sectors, this fixes some reading problems, it does not remove/delete files, so don't be scared of what it is doing.. If it isn't allowing you to do the run test, try another computer or laptop if you have one, it wouldn't let me do it on my main PC but believe it or not it let me run the test and also recover files from the other HDD using my microsoft surface pro 3.

Also did you bump or drop the HDD by mistake? this could also be the reason that your hearing clicking noises, if this is the case, I have no answer for this one, a computer tech maybe able to do something but not sure..

If the above command prompt technique worked and your able to use your HDD again, this does not mean it has fixed the problem 100%, once your able to access you files I recommend you getting another HDD and moving the files over, do not continue to used the drive even if it works again, it may work for weeks, months or even a year or more or however long, but how long exactly for is hard to say, so grab yourself a new HDD...

Hope this helps and let me know if any of the above helped/worked..

Thanks

• downvote

Kosio49 days ago

Hello,
I found something that can help you!

Hope you restore your files! ;)

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    abedexter Help. Microsoft office 2010 activation
    gstraneva Scanning junk files
    ChessKing The Yandex browser does not work
    srb25k Which cyptocurrency is best to mine
    gstraneva Scan time excessive
    gstraneva Not impressed so far with product
    sadhzcn What are best Music Downloading Apps than Music Paradise?
    lindabest Why visual stdio is very slow in first loading ..
    jdb152 Solar eclipse rage
    pubg Free Playerunknown's Battleground skins?
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    stormysarge won $1
    den3d won $1
    isaiah05 won $1
    FixitJorge won $1
    nuklin won $1
    srb25k won $1
    AAA1992 won $1
    rohinraha won $1
    ofteamer won $1
    Wilfredvr won $1
    Latest Topics
    AAA1992 Which language ,C# .net VS Java VS C++??and , Why?
    edouard_siu How to fix HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT ISSUES?
    lindabest Why visual stdio is very slow in first loading ..
    pubg Free Playerunknown's Battleground skins?
    sadhzcn What are best Music Downloading Apps than Music Paradise?
    abedexter Help. Microsoft office 2010 activation
    gstraneva Not impressed so far with product
    gstraneva Scan time excessive
    srb25k Which cyptocurrency is best to mine
    ChessKing The Yandex browser does not work
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.