Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

What is the different between judgment and judgement, which one is universally correct. Reward $2
Created by selcinor, 394 days ago, 919 views

I can see many people uses the two words interchangeably but I think one is better in use.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

brendaniel394 days ago

@selcinor
The answer to that question is that the difference between the words is entirely dialectal. There is no demonstrable difference of sense or function between them, meaning both words can be used interchangeably.

Judgment (without the extra “e”) is the preferred word choice in American English (see below). If you find yourself writing to a predominately American audience or for an American newspaper, “judgment” is the correct word choice.

Judgement (with the extra “e”) is the preferred choice in British English. judgement is almost the invariable choice in British English. Should you use judgment instead, it will be viewed as incorrect (even though it isn’t).

As noted above, however, in English legal proceedings, judgment is actually the preferred choice, but in everyday usage, judgement is much more common.

This is why it is important to keep your audience in mind when you are writing.

Judgment is the best choice to use in North America.

Judgement is the best choice when writing in Great Britain.

• downvote

Aravi394 days ago

Hi @selcinor

judgment - American spelling (outside North America it is spelling mistake)

judgement - Britain and other countries which follows Britain spelling (Every where spelling is accepted).

They both dose have the same meaning, depending on the statement they have been used.

Regards,

• downvote

verden394 days ago

Neither one is universally accepted because usage depends on what the reader is used to using. That is generally determined by the part of the world they are in.

• downvote

nuklin393 days ago

@selcinor
In American English, judgement is generally considered a misspelling of judgment for all uses of the word, notwithstanding individual preferences. In British popular usage, judgment was traditionally the preferred form, but judgement has gained ground over the last couple of centuries and is now nearly as common as judgment.

Pay no attention to the myth, widely repeated on the web, that judgement is the original spelling and that judgment is a 19th-century American invention. This is simply untrue, as shown by an abundance of readily available evidence anyone can view online.

Therefore, "judgment" is universally correct
for more: http://grammarist.com/spelling/judgment-judgement/

Goodluck!!!

• downvote

capybara393 days ago

I am a school teacher.
My experience tells me that Judgement is the correct form.
This is kind of like "I say potato, you say pohtato."

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    yanka457 won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    muthu won $1
    Surfer won $1
    ha14 won $1
    sonmeoo won $1
    Phani won $2
    ha14 won $1
    nuklin won $1
    ha14 won $1
    Latest Topics
    Pravy Is there a light at the end of the road?
    selcinor What step to take when taking essay examination
    Aleks111 Где найти эзотерические знания?
    rh150916 Please help me find the names of these characters.
    Danyil Where I can buy Magic Stick of Harry Potter?
    selcinor What is the different between judgment and judgement, which one is universally correct.
    Wise_EPL A Religious & Fiction Christmas Poem
    5thPersonToTalk "Manga and Anime"
    BrohmMateo Is there a version of The Winter's Tale by Shakespeare in which the character Dorcas is also a narrator?
    omarktm è accertato ke sopra la panca la capra campa.....
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.