Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Which is the best OS for my old laptop Reward $4
Created by HatsuneMiku, 628 days ago, 1288 views

So my laptop is really old, but I've upgraded it to 4GB of DDR2 memory, it has an AMD Athlon 64 CPU and about 250MB of dedicated video memory, I use my laptop for college so it needs to run photoshop word etc but I also do light gaming on it (JC1) so what OS shall I put on it? I tried Windows XP but I can't make it connect too the internet
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

Zuikoz628 days ago

I would say try windows 7. You say you're a student though, I think most colleges (my tiny community college does) offer windows 10 for free or at a massive discount as well.

• downvote

HatsuneMiku628 days ago

@Zuikoz
Thanks I will try that, I have an install disc for 7 somewhere and it's pre activated

• downvote

Vinita628 days ago

I have the exact same config and I need photoshop too (since I am a blogger). Windows 7 premium edition is working fine for me (almost 9 months now).

• downvote

ha14628 days ago

@HatsuneMiku
best will be to check the compatibility of your photoshop version and then install the right OS

Windows 10 requirements
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

• downvote

dandrews1492628 days ago

Stick with an older version of Windows as Win 10 is a memory hungry beast. Win 7 should work just fine for what you are doing with it.

• downvote

RevG628 days ago

Actually, you might should use its original operating system, however, Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft and Windows XP is not. You may also need to download manufacturer-specific driver files for your laptop's hardware, usually available from the manufacturer of your laptop's website. There is also Ubuntu, which is Lennox based rather than Windows based. Interestingly, there is also a chance you could download and install an Android based operaring system and run it on your laptop.

• downvote

Aravi628 days ago

Hi @HatsuneMiku

Check its proformance via benchmark website. Preform stress test and preformance test. If the result of number of mb /sec is above 600 mb/s, then windows 7 sp 1 will work smooth. If below that then go for lower os like xp or vista.

This minimum preformance decides. Kindly preform the test without twikling the system / optimizing it.

Regards,

• downvote

cutishael627 days ago

Install win 7 and update all your drivers to get the latest configuration for your system. Also, if you want your machine run faster, then try this...
https://www.xtra-pc.com
Hope this will be helpful....

• downvote

Nithin627 days ago

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit is suitable for your laptop , it is worked with minimum requirements.

1 GHz or 64-bit (x64) processor

2 GB RAM (64-bit)

available hard disk space 20 GB (64-bit)

Windows 7 Home comfort for your use

• downvote

pustoi11627 days ago

Install android.)

• downvote

lexshvets626 days ago

@HatsuneMiku
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED: http://torrentor.co/1467-windows-7-maksimalnaya-sp1-32bit64bit-2012-rus.html

• downvote

edsays625 days ago

@HatsuneMiku
I agree that Windows 7 is the best; but Microsoft wants to rake in more billions by selling new operating systems. Greedy SoBs.

• downvote

satareid625 days ago

@HatsuneMiku
Windows 7 32 bit,Your laptop will not pull for more

• downvote

edmilson625 days ago

windows xp 32 bits

• downvote

Sebo625 days ago

Like everyone says window 7 but I disagree. If you install the free version of Window 10 like I did on my OS system, you will get the exact ram. Just check your system info and make sure 32 or 64.
I wouldn't advise to you buy OS laptop or notebook. Their charger overheats and breaks very easily compare to window operating laptops.
I thought I was the only one having this problem, but Googling online, I wasn't the only one at all. There are thousand of people around the world with the same problem. The sad thing is, Big company and Brand Apple did nothing about the fix the problem. I end up buying chargers more than 5 times in 4 yrs. That would buy me a brand new window operating Laptop.

• downvote

Sebo625 days ago

Please do not buy window XP what so ever even if its free. First of all, Microsoft stops supporting. Secondly, it is too old and will not be compatible with some of the software you might install.
The last thing is, XP window very generous to accept virus if you are online. Stay away if you are getting online.

• downvote

wim624 days ago

CloudReady is an operating system based on Chromium OS, the same open-source architecture as Chrome OS. Whether your computers are brand new or a decade old, installing CloudReady provides unparalleled speed, simplicity, and security without the hardware limitations of Chromebooks.
You will find the CloudReady experience to be a fantastic replica of the official Google Chrome OS. This is, without a doubt, the closest take on Chrome OS, for standard hardware, that you will ever experience. If you want a Chrome OS platform for your aging laptops and desktops, CloudReady is what you want. And any educational institution looking to keep hardware relevant for as long as possible, this might well be the solution you need.

• downvote

mayank634624 days ago

good then look around if there are any grammatical errors or anything http://isnapchatemojis.com to receive daily medication dosage of hand-crafted experiences. nice.

• downvote

AskEpic624 days ago

@HatsuneMiku You said that you require softwares like Photoshop, Word, and you need slight gaming.
After reading your PC Specs I'll suggest you to use Windows 7 Ultimate as it'll work awesome on your 64 bit AMD PC.
You will be good to go for Windows 10 when you have atleast DDR3 memory. So for now go for Windows 7 my friend.
Hope this will help you!

• downvote

nihal29624 days ago

@HatsuneMiku
GO FOR WINDOWS 7 , LITE AND FAST WITHOUT BLOAT AS WELL
REGARDS

• downvote

adam3577624 days ago

windows 10

• downvote

mrpj2u624 days ago

Hi
XP is easy to connect to the internet you obviously don't have the right driver for the NIC
However the question is what is the best OS for the laptop, the answer is linux however
if you want to know the best Windows OS then that would in most cases be Windows 7

Kind Regards

• downvote

selected624 days ago

Since you need Photoshop and Word your best option is Windows 7. Other things you may want to consider:

1. 4 gig ram - use 32-bit version. The 64-bit version will still use that much ram.

2. Drivers - it's unlikely you will find drivers for your machine using newer versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 10). Windows 7 is the next upgrade from Win XP so you have more chances of finding drivers for you devices.

3. You can trim down Win 7 to make it run faster, for example: by removing unnecessary programs, reducing graphic animation, cleaning up desktop shortcuts.

4. Win 7 generic LAN driver works with virtually any device so that would solve your internet connection issue.

• downvote

HatsuneMiku623 days ago

Sorry I delay so much! I've been on holiday. Thought I would give a quick update I went for windows 7 because most people suggested that and that's what the laptop had when I brought it, but mainly because I love windows 7 thanks for all your answers!

• downvote

georgebates623 days ago

@HatsuneMiku
windows 97

• downvote

HatsuneMiku623 days ago

what? xD there is no 97

• downvote

tjiebudi622 days ago

you can install linux (ex. ubuntu or mint), and for image processing/manipulating use gimp

• downvote

zrodfects622 days ago

@HatsuneMiku

If your able to get Windows 10 on it, give that a go. I wouldn't go below Windows 8 if you can, older Windows are no longer supported by Microsoft, so if you want some of the latest updates or service packs you will not be able to install them, even Google Chrome no longer supports older windows so again updates will not be possible.

You could always install multiple operating systems by partitioning your HDD which I have done, I have Linux, Windows Vista (used for older software compatibility) & Windows 10.

If you wish to go this way make sure you install windows operating system versions in order, as you will have issues, for example, do not install windows 10 first then install windows 8 after it, has to be 8 first then 10 etc. when you turn on your computer once these are all installed you get a new option screen upon startup to select which OS you want to start, or select one to run automatically after say 10 seconds if you mostly use one type...

Enjoy...

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    termezo What's some good games for a young child can you recommend?
    Lostmine House movers reviews
    Franklee What's the best online language course?
    Moonchulhwan Computer format problem
    Stardust How hard is to build your own app?
    kalash Hidden folders hidden
    darkpsinight ..................................
    Pongo2016 ZBook 15 heat up
    Wuveth Car/racing games
    Brett578 Maintenance does not work in HP pc windows 8.1
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    ChessKing won $1
    Adamsh won $1
    ha14 won $1
    tecask_support won $1
    CuteFairy won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    ha14 won $1
    ha14 won $1
    ChessKing won $1
    Latest Topics
    Franklee What's the best online language course?
    kalash Hidden folders hidden
    Brett578 Maintenance does not work in HP pc windows 8.1
    Wuveth Car/racing games
    Dimka14 Какие хорошие программы для монтажа вы можете порекомендовать?
    Pongo2016 ZBook 15 heat up
    Lostmine House movers reviews
    mbeli Found a weird file name anyone know what it is?
    mbeli Win 7 Ultimate system restore and Google are not working HELP
    Janlord What is the best source for Microsoft PowerPoint templates?
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.