Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

How to obtain and shelter a capybara? Reward $2
Created by capybara, 447 days ago, 696 views

We live in NH, USA. (all seasons apply..summer, spring , winter, fall...Northeast USA)
My son and I think these creatures are awesome, but want them to be healthy. We really just want 1.
Little help?
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

ELahiawy447 days ago

You'll clean PAL to live view

• downvote

Aravi446 days ago

Hi @capybara

Kindly find the below article:-

http://animals.mom.me/care-pet-capybara-1532.html

Regards,

• downvote

voineaadi432 days ago

There you go: http://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/capybara-for-sale.asp

But please be careful about capybaras, they might sound fun to have as a pet, but let's not forget, they are still rodents. I once had a baby golden retriever puppy( I found him on the streets next to my block ) and it was very hard to handle him, so maybe a capybara won't be an easy animal to have as a pet. But hey, if you want a fun and loyal friend, go for it and be patient with him or her. Good luck!

• downvote

RevG431 days ago

@capybara
Capybara are neat animals, indeed. I, too, think them fascinating creatures. They look like gentle giants of a sorts.

Are you familiar with an animal called the nutria? We have nutria here in East Texas, and they're common enough in the southern US, but I have found many people who live elsewhere are unfamilar with them. To me, nutria look very much like what might be a miniaturized capybara.

I mention this not just because of the capybara's resemblance to the nutria, but also to make a point about the problems with bringing non-native species into any new habitats. For example, the nutria's US introduction has caused a number of environmental problems.

Nutria dig burrows into the banks of bodies of water like ponds, bogs and marshes. These burrows create dangers to people and farm animals (falling into a borrow can cause a broken leg, for instance), but burrows also destroy land. The impact the nutria has had on native species may be even more problematic, whether in terms of diminished resources to native animaIs (less available food choices, diminished habitat, etc.) or in terms of its impact on numbers of predators, such as aligators, bobcats, owls, eagles, and other creatures (booming predator populations from years of extra nutria to eat, then suddenly too many predators and too few nutria remaining to serve as their food sources). These are just a few examples of some considerations you might make in thinking more about your interests in procuring an exotic animal to keep as a pet.

If you really want capybara to be healthy, then surely you'll consider how and why removing any from its natural habitat is wrong, and, further, you might think at length about how keeping one as a pet will impose a number of other challenges. At least one challenge you would be forced to handle regularly would certainly be providing a capybara with the nutritional intake (such as wild plants) and other nutrients to which they were accustomed in their former life in the wild. You should then have to ask yourself where in NH will you regularly be able to find the particular variety of plants from the Amazon river basin that these animals use as primary sources of food?

And, God forbid, what if your captive capybara falls ill? Are there any veterinarians in your area who are knowledgeable about diseases and disorders common to capybara? If so, will this veterinarian make services available to you, could you even afford these charges (vet care is so expensive, even for cats and dogs these days), or would you need to worry about being turned in to local authorities for harboring an exotic animal--one which you obtained perhaps illegally or one which you illegally imported?

In many areas, exotic animals are prohibited by law, and in other areas, only certain exotics are allowed and only when authorized by special permit. Illegally imported animals can result in fines to their importers, for example.

Can capybara readily tolerate the occasional freezing cold temperatures that seasonally affect your geography in NH? Should one even have to try to tolerate such cold? I cannot say, my friend.

However, in the interests of teaching your son important lessons about wildlife, exotics, and US laws, and in keeping with any good parent's determination to set a better example, I can only recommend reconsidering your interests in ownership of a capybara, at least in so much as to find a respect for these creatures that holds the best place for them is their native environment.

I understand they interest both you and I, and I think this is the perfect place to start thinking differently about wildlife and exotic animals. Perhaps, instead, you will find a nearby zoo with captive capybara so that you and your impressionable son may visit these animals (and others, too) frequently enough to appease the desire for ownership. Perhaps, you could see and enjoy capybara in a zoo almost as similarly to ownership.

Whatever you do, please do continue to encourage your son's interests in and respect for animals. It just might be the very inspiration you provide now that results later in your son's choice of careers... as say a veterinarian, or maybe a wildlife photographer for NatGeo, or possibly even a scientific researcher studying capybara in their native environments to learn about their habits... Then maybe your adult son would also then share what he sees, photographs or learns with the rest of the world.

Wouldn't that be awesome?!?! (Yes. It definitely would.)

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    yanka457 won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    muthu won $1
    Surfer won $1
    ha14 won $1
    sonmeoo won $1
    Phani won $2
    ha14 won $1
    nuklin won $1
    ha14 won $1
    Latest Topics
    sesku What's your pet??
    BattlePants How to kill a great white shark with your bare hands?
    jully Coelhos vivem em cativeiros quantos anos?
    GulfWideLocal Mom & TheBabies Friendship!
    my_asylum Is there any new information about the Mongolian Death Worm?
    TheDammit What is the difference between a bug and an insect?
    Icuska Milyen ugyes kutyuska vagyok?
    Icuska Fürdetés mennyi idős kortól?
    Icuska Az én kiskutyám.
    selcinor If someone intentionally killed your dog what will yo do?
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.