Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Anime character characteristics Reward $2
Created by alvinjfrazier, 482 days ago, 723 views

Why are most anime characters drawn with caucasian features, even if the character is asian? (Ex: Blond hair, Round eyes, White skin, etc.)
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

koroleva481 days ago

"Back in 2010, blogger Julian Abagond asserted, "The Japanese see anime characters as being Japanese. It is Americans who think they are white." Largely, I agree with this. When Japanese see anime characters, they think they are Japanese—even if they have purple hair or blond hair—or they don't even think about it that deeply. It's often only when the characters have exaggerated Western figures or speak goofy Japanese that viewers are clued in that they are looking at a non-Japanese character." This is from an article by Brian Ashcraft
I personally never met a Caucasian with red eyes and blue hair and yet that's kinda what anime characters look like! By the way I don't think Asians have ever wondered why Mulan looks like them. I guess they are the only one to realize animation is a fantastic world and people are free to use their imagination as wide as they can.
Try to watch cosplay images or animes that was adapted in live-action films like Death Note, and you will see how the outfits looks so great on Japanese people and you might change your mind.

• downvote

Rone482 days ago

In the japanese culture pale faces were the more 'Popular' look for society. An example would be the geisha look.

• downvote

ralphfurgason482 days ago

@alvinjfrazier

I am thinking that it is because blonde hair and blue eyes seem to be the iconic look of the proverbial female sex symbol even for oriental people.

• downvote

Pravy482 days ago

I beg to differ. Anime is made as per the artists choices and they want to distinguish their character or implied side character. Not all characters have the same type of characterizations. A famous example would be Bleach Anime. The lead has orange hair which was done so to make him stand out than others.

• downvote

pustoi11482 days ago

almost all the characters of anime face resemble each other like twins. therefore, to transfer the difference of characters, using external paraphernalia, including hair color.

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    yanka457 won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    muthu won $1
    Surfer won $1
    ha14 won $1
    sonmeoo won $1
    Phani won $2
    ha14 won $1
    nuklin won $1
    ha14 won $1
    Latest Topics
    Pravy Is there a light at the end of the road?
    selcinor What step to take when taking essay examination
    Aleks111 Где найти эзотерические знания?
    rh150916 Please help me find the names of these characters.
    Danyil Where I can buy Magic Stick of Harry Potter?
    selcinor What is the different between judgment and judgement, which one is universally correct.
    Wise_EPL A Religious & Fiction Christmas Poem
    5thPersonToTalk "Manga and Anime"
    BrohmMateo Is there a version of The Winter's Tale by Shakespeare in which the character Dorcas is also a narrator?
    omarktm è accertato ke sopra la panca la capra campa.....
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.