Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Is it OK if a teacher can't answer the students' questions? Reward $2
Created by wency, 1909 days ago, 5357 views

If you ask your teacher a questions about the subject he is teaching, but his answer is "I don't know". How do you feel that?
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

nut1909 days ago

Teacher is not God, they are human too dude. They have a wider knowledge than students doesn't mean they are Mr Known-it-all-s. So it is easy to understand if they can't answer a student's question. However, in this case the teacher should be wise to react such as "I'll check it back for sure and tell you later". Do not give false information.

• downvote

nino20181909 days ago

hi@wency Yes Sometimes science can not answer questions Link to this are some tips
http://www.enotes.com/teacher-help/what-do-you-do-student-asks-question-you-cant-408247
good luck
I hope I helped you

• downvote

alvindgreat1909 days ago

Hi @Wency
Everyone has limitations. No one is perfect. I believe teachers too are human and has limitations. They might not know everything. Good thing is if their students asked the teacher and answered "I dont know", trust me most of the time that teacher will be motivated enough and exert further effort to not make his/her students disappointed next time students asked another question.
However, in some cases; teachers just dont exert effort to make the students feel that their question can be answered in a good way. It is a different scenario. I guess I will be disappointed of that extent. Maybe I will not be excited to ask another question to that teacher again.
Hope it helps.
High five!

• downvote

azzromyo1909 days ago

Hi @wency
I think that is a great opportunity for learning when a teacher does not know the answer to a question, for both the student and the teacher. Inevitably it will happen at some time in both the teacher's and the student's careers, and it should be used well. Meaning, I think that the teacher should take the time to answer the question and not just put it off by saying "I don't know" or something like that. And, if there was a student who knows the answer, I think that is also a great opportunity for that student to shine and get their voice heard.

Hope this helps!

• downvote

YX1909 days ago

I think... it's okay even if the teacher can't answer it, because... beside that question, I am sure, he/she has more kNowledges other than that question / the students. like... maybe s/he don't know about A thing, but s/he's know all of B-Z tHings.

• downvote

Ann1908 days ago

If the teacher dares to admit that he doesn't know in front of his students and tries to find the correct after class. He is respectable.

• downvote

monroe1908 days ago

After all teachers are also humans, no one is perfect, sometimes they cant answer as they don know the answer or may don hae thorouh knowledge about that topic, its no big deal if a teacher doesnt answer some questions as i too have faced were i studied. But if the teacher always not answering most of your questions is very wrong as they are there to teach you which is their job.

• downvote

Draken_Uk1908 days ago

"I don't know" is probably the most valuable phrase in any language!
It has driven our greatest philosophers and scientists to discoveries that have shaped the world we see around us, saved millions of lives with medicines and surgical procedures, sent us to the moon and Mars, shown us the structure of the atom and the shape of our galaxy.
Too many people are quick with an answer or opinion when asked a question for fear of appearing stupid or ill-informed.
Too few are honest enough to say truthfully; "I don't know".

• downvote

kinzy20041908 days ago

Hello there

I'm teacher and yes answering with I Don't know is better than pretending you know or give wrong answers which will later turn to the students that either you don't know Anything or you were lie to them this answer give you time to go and look for answers. and gain you respect in the eyes of your students. As Prophets ,Scholars, Scientists used this word for centuries to show to people that everyone needs to learn and no one knows everything. However avoid using this word in you mandatory teaching subject i mean the subject you have to teach not the strange questions or outside the field of study
Good luck

• downvote

Razsaheel1908 days ago

I will be thoroughly impressed. Because nobody knows everything about anything. Only a true teacher can admit the fact most honestly and candidly.

• downvote

zizou1907 days ago

The teacher must answer questions students

• downvote

ourlife1907 days ago

then I will be happy
I will realize,
I am front of being human.

• downvote

g1000A1905 days ago

yes it's ok
the teacher didn't invent the subject he is just a messenger.

the difference between knowing and not knowing is curiosity and why would you ask a teacher a question if you are not curious about something and i think feeding you own curiosity is better then making some one feed it for you

• downvote

Tankkiller1905 days ago

Well just saying you shouldn't expect any teacher to answer a question because they don't really teach you anything, like how to do taxes, or what taxes are, etc.
So yea, it is ok

• downvote

SetupComputer1904 days ago

I think it's okay if the teacher SOMETIMES can't answer a student's question. But, since a student's impression of the teacher is beyond the teacher's control, the student may misinterpret it as a sign of incompetency.

A teacher may not know the answer to the question, but he/she should deal with it in a professional way. For example, if an economics student asks one about the current exchange rate from euro to dollar, the teacher has to reply like, "I think it's €1.00 = $1.20, but let me get back to you in a bit as the market fluctuates and this ESTIMATE might be afar from prevailing rates."

However, if the student's questions is within the course specialty of the teacher but the teacher cannot answer, then the teacher has to revisit his/her own competency. That's definitely a bad sign. For example, if a calculus teacher is asked by a student, "I am trying to determine the integral of sec 3x but I can't solve it. Could you please show the solution?", and the teacher cannot solve it, then it is a very frustrating situation for both the student and the teacher, and I think that the student will think less of the teacher's capability. Any teacher should prevent this kind of situation.

That's what I think of it. Cheerz!

• downvote

Afshan1876 days ago

yes it is ok if teacher does not give you ans b/c he also human like we people are he is not google so if he not know the ans then its okay

• downvote

jhacie181713 days ago

They are not robots programmed to have all the information student's are going to ask. Being a teacher is a learning process too, and classroom is a place where students and teacher should exchange knowledge and information. It is not only the teacher's duty to give lessons to her students but also the students should participate on sharing info to the teacher and fellow students aswell.

• downvote

jhacie181713 days ago

They are not robots programmed to have all the information student's are going to ask. Being a teacher is a learning process too, and classroom is a place where students and teacher should exchange knowledge and information. It is not only the teacher's duty to give lessons to her students but also the students should participate on sharing info to the teacher and fellow students aswell.

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    jeetkml won $1
    a454545 won $2
    Coxxyr won $1
    Handas won $1
    chakramed won $2
    Pravy won $1
    chakramed won $1
    jennifer0123 won $1
    Pele233 won $1
    sneja60845956 won $1
    Latest Topics
    ritusingh Scope of BBA Degree in Finance or International Business Field
    ritu What are the career opportunities after doing MSc in IT
    ritusingh What is bca and scope of bca courses
    alantwo Music and entertainment
    selcinor Anybody know anything about this place
    adnane Optimisation du réseau de collecte des puits de pétrole
    omarwa Time travel in reel
    ChessKing Почему сигналы безопасности красного цвета?
    ChessKing Германивые транзисторы
    layls1071 Which better dell or Hp And why?
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.