Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

How do you measure if someone is over-nourished? Reward $2
Created by Vency, 1963 days ago, 2097 views

over-nutrition occurs when a person consumes a diet that exceeds the necessary requirements for the amount of essential nutrients, or the amount of calories a person needs to remain healthy. how to judge whether yourself are over-nourished?
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

docspaugh121962 days ago

'Over nourished and 'over weight' are two very different things.

If I eat 3000 calories of highly nutritious fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins then I MIGHT be well nourished, depending on how and where those foods were grown. As our soil becomes increasingly depleted of nutrients, we therefore have foods with less and less nutrients.

On the other hand, if I eat 3000 calories of Coca Cola, potato chips, and candy bars I will be under nourished yet overfed. From that, an overweight condition will develop.

I am not that large of a person, so 1200 calories of nourishing foods might be all that I need. If the weight on the scale goes up over time, then I'm eating too much in terms of calories. If the scale goes down over time, I"m likely not eating enough in terms of calories.

In our current state of agriculture and soil quality, I doubt that anyone is actually over nourished in terms of vitamins and minerals, yet they can certainly be overfed in terms of calories.

• downvote

azzromyo1963 days ago

Hi @Vency
Calculating your BMI

BMI is an approximate measure of the best weight for health only. To calculate your BMI, you can use the Body mass index (BMI) calculator for adults. You need to know:
your weight in kilograms
your height in metres.
To calculate a childs BMI, you can use the Body mass index (BMI) calculator for children and adolescents.

What your BMI means

Once you have calculated your BMI, you can determine your healthy weight range.

If you have a BMI of:

Under 18.5 – you are considered underweight and possibly malnourished.
18.5 to 24.9 – you are within a healthy weight range for young and middle-aged adults.
25.0 to 29.9 – you are considered overweight.
Over 30 – you are considered obese.

For older Australians over the age of 70 years, general health status may be more important than being mildly overweight. Some researchers have suggested that a BMI range of 22-26 is desirable for older Australians.

Some exceptions to the BMI rule

BMI does not differentiate between body fat and muscle mass. This means there are some exceptions to the BMI guidelines, including:

Muscles – body builders and people who have a lot of muscle bulk will have a high BMI, but are not overweight.
Physical disabilities – people who have a physical disability and are unable to walk may have muscle wasting. Their BMI may be slightly lower, but this does not necessarily mean they are underweight. In these instances, it is important to consult a dietitian who will provide helpful advice.
Height – BMI is not totally independent of height and it tends to overestimate obesity among shorter people and underestimate it among taller people. Therefore, BMI should not be used as a guide for adults who are very short (less than 150 cm) or very tall (more than 190 cm).
People of different ethnic groups – Asians and Indians, for example, have more body fat at any given BMI compared to people of European descent. Therefore, the cut-offs for overweight and obesity may need to be lower for these populations. This is because an increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease begins at a BMI as low as 23 in Asian populations. Some populations have equivalent risks at a higher BMI, such as people of Torres Strait Islander and Maori origin.

Being overweight or underweight can affect your health

The link between being overweight or obese and the chance you will become ill is not definite. Research is ongoing, although statistically, there is a greater chance of developing various diseases if you are overweight. For example, the risk of death rises slightly (by 20 to 30 per cent) as BMI rises from 25 to 27. As BMI rises above 27, the risk of death rises more steeply (by 60 per cent).

Risks of being overweight (high BMI) and physically inactive

If you are overweight (with a BMI over 25) and physically inactive, you may develop:

cardiovascular (heart and blood circulation) disease
gallbladder disease
high blood pressure (hypertension)
type 2 diabetes
osteoarthritis
certain types of cancer, such as colon and breast cancer
depression and other mental health disorders.

Risks of being underweight (low BMI)

If you are underweight (BMI less than 18.5), you may be malnourished and develop:

compromised immune function
respiratory disease
digestive diseases
cancer
osteoporosis.

Body fat distribution and health risk

A person’s waist circumference is a better predictor of health risk than BMI. Having fat around the abdomen or a ‘pot belly’, regardless of your body size, means you are more likely to develop certain obesity-related health conditions.

Fat predominantly deposited around the hips and buttocks doesn’t appear to have the same health risk. Men, in particular, often deposit weight in the waist region and therefore have an increased risk of obesity-related disease.

Studies have shown that the distribution of body fat is linked to an increased prevalence of diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease.

Generally, the association between health risks and body fat distribution are:

least risk – slim (evenly distributed body fat)
moderate risk – overweight with no pot belly
moderate to high risk – slim with pot belly
high risk – overweight with excess belly fat.

Waist circumference and health risks

Waist circumference can be used to indicate health risk for chronic diseases.

For men:

94 cm or more – increased risk
102 cm or more – substantially increased risk.

For women:

80 cm or more – increased risk
88 cm or more – substantially increased risk.

Genetic factors

The tendency to deposit fat around the middle is influenced by a person’s genes. However, you can take this genetic tendency into account and still do something about it.

Being physically active, avoiding smoking and eating unsaturated fat instead of saturated fat have been shown to decrease the risk of developing abdominal obesity.

Things to remember

BMI is an approximate measure of your total body fat.
Being underweight or overweight can cause health problems, especially if you are also inactive.
Your waist circumference is a better predictor of health risk than BMI.

You might also be interested in:

Growth and development - babies to preschoolers.
Growth and development - primary school children.
Growth and development - teenagers.
Obesity in children - causes.
Obesity in children - management.
Physical activity - it's important.
Weight loss - a healthy approach.
Weight loss - common myths.

from:http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Body_mass_index_%28BMI%29?open

• downvote

ZzMrXzZ1963 days ago

BMI is not everything. A gym person would have an overweight index but he is totally at good shape. Read this one if you need futher information: http://www.edesiaglobal.org/nutrition-resources/measuring-malnutrition/

• downvote

SetupComputer1963 days ago

@Vency

If you do exercise, you will most definitely notice. For example, try to run or jog. If you feel sluggish and you run out of gas even in a short distance, then you might already be overweight. You could also do some pull-ups. If your body is so heavy that you can't lift it at least 15 times, then you might be overweight.

There are also physical indicators that I look for if I am overnourished. Use your thumb and index finger and try to pull your skin. Do it in your arms, belly and thighs. Your skin would feel thick and hard to pull if you have unnecessary fats. Also, you could inspect yourself in a mirror and see if you're in good proportion, or something is bulging. For example, your belly might be flabby and your hips are bigger.

A simple rule of thumb my doctor told me to measure my Body Mass Index (BMI) is this: The last two digits of you height in centimeters is the maximum mass in kilos your body should be.

For example, if my height is 173cm, therefore, my maximum allowable weight is 73kgs.
1 lb = 0.453 kg (approximate), if you want it in pounds.

This method is approximation, but it's better for everyday use than remembering the whole BMI table.

I really hope I have helped you. :)

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    jeetkml won $1
    a454545 won $2
    Coxxyr won $1
    Handas won $1
    chakramed won $2
    Pravy won $1
    chakramed won $1
    jennifer0123 won $1
    Pele233 won $1
    sneja60845956 won $1
    Latest Topics
    savram Какой чай полезнее черный или зеленый?
    ChessKing Возможна ли качественная подделка лекарств?
    ChessKing Есть ли у питьевой воды строк годности?
    ChessKing Седые волосы:эффективные способы.
    ChessKing Правила питания, раздельное питание.
    erao Para manter o peso precisamos ?
    ChessKing Почему гомеопатия официально не принята?
    ChessKing Корейские кровати:хорошо или плохо?
    ChessKing Лечение хронического парадонтоза.
    Nur_iffah HELP! What Rhetorical Question about Drug Abuse?
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.