Euask
A community for mutual assistance and knowledge sharing

Is wireless router connected by Ethernet cable to my computer a wired connection even though it is not connect by Ethernet to modem? Reward $34
Created by AddisonLee, 889 days ago, 2119 views

I have to pass a work from home test that requires an wired connection. My parents work from home but the modem is in their room. Its set up in a way that would be too much to move. Where I would set up an office would be upstairs opposite side of the house. If running cables through walls and construction is not an option can I use a wireless router and connect via Ethernet cable to the computer to create a wired connection? Hopefully I'm explaining this to be answered fully. This is not my area of expertise.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Addthis

√ Best Answer

paul07333889 days ago

NO, FOR YOU TO BE A WIRED CONNECTION YOU HAVE TO CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER ETHERNET CABLE TO YOUR PARENTS ROUTER, OTHER THAN THAT YOUR ROUTER WOULD BE SENDING/RECEIVING WIRELESSLY.

IF YOUR TEST IS ONLY FOR A SHORT PERIOD YOU COULD CONSIDER STRINGING A VERY LONG ETHERNET CABLE TO COMPLETE THE TEST. IT WON'T LOOK GOOD
BUT YOU COULD REMOVE IT AFTER THE TEST, THEN USE THE WIRELESS CONNECTION FOR ACCESS.

• downvote

Danny889 days ago

Connect the ethernet cable to a router that would be helpful and then you can connect to it

• downvote

ha14889 days ago

@AddisonLee ZyXEL 600 Mbps Mini Powerline AV2 Gigabit Adapter, Starter Kit - 2 Units (PLA5205KIT)
http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Gigabit-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00D7GF6NA
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

• downvote

sajal27889 days ago

Hi,

@AddisonLee
Plug the Ethernet cable (yellow ends) into one of the 4 yellow Ethernet sockets on the back of your router.

Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into your computer's Ethernet socket. The Ethernet light on the router will turn green or flash.

now u are ready to use the internet through ethernet cable.

• downvote

ZzMrXzZ889 days ago

The answer is "NO".

The two major components in a small computer network are a modem (cable or DSL) and a wireless router. The router is wired to the modem, and the modem is wired to the cable company's coaxial cable or the telephone company's DSL phone line. For Internet access via satellite, the router is wired to a satellite modem.

But if you have a wireless router then you need a wireless adapter for the PC, you can get either a PCi E card one, or one that plugs into a USB port. They can be had, in various levels of features, for anywhere from 10 USD and up. I recommend yo this one:
http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/tp-link-300mbps-high-gain-wireless-usb-adapter-tl-wn822n-6655791/i/#description

It's a USB one, so you don't have to break open you computer and install a card (unless your computer has no USB ports available, then you will need a PCi-E card adapter).

If you need further information, follow this link: http://blog.dlink.com/what-do-i-need-to-create-wireless-network-at-home/

• downvote

rangnguyen888 days ago

I did 2 things :

First thing :

- Powerline Networking Kit (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/networking-accessories/powerline/pcmcat161100050043.c?id=pcmcat161100050043; $77.9). If your parent's modem is a modem-router combo, it is simpler.

This kit comprises 2 adapters (called NETGEAR Powerline 500 Nano adapters) :

- At the modem-router combo : one adapter is plugged to wall outlet near the modem-router. One ethernet cord is needed to connect this adapter to the modem-router combo.

- At your computer : another adater is plugged to wall outlet. Another ethernet cord is needed to connect to your ethernet outlet of your computer.

- Do shake hands between these 2 adapters. That's it.

It is very easy to do this if you follow instructions.

2nd thing :

Triple Your Internet Speed for Free :

• downvote

SetupComputer888 days ago

Hi @AddisonLee

If your're just doing a temporary / short project, the most practical solution is to temporarily ask your parents' permission to place your computer in their room (if possible).

If you can't do that, remenber that the limit length of a Cat5e LAN cable from the modem is about 100 meters (300 ft). A switch or a router in the middle can extend that limit. You may want to plug one end of the LAN cable to the modem at your parents' room, let it run outside the window to the exterior wall, until it reaches your room. You can buy a plastic surface mount cable raceway (1 inch) from your local hardware. It is very easy to install, you just need screws, portable screw gun and ladder (remember safety guidelines). Or, if you can satisfy the maximum length requirement, you can do it indoors without running through walls.

Kindly let me know if this helped you by tagging me @SetupComputer. Thanks.

• downvote

gep887 days ago

:) you can do wireless just buy a wireless usb adapter but the problem is it's not so effective than a wired connection, it is not reliable even if you put wi-fi extender. You router can't connect to a network when you don't connect it to your Mom's Modem or Router. The best thing you will do is connect a cable wire to the router of your mom then connect it to your router or switch but since you don't know how to configure a router running to switch just go directly to the router then connect the cable at the back of you Computer you can see slot there and you are ready to Go if you know how to connect a switch from the router of your mom's room then that is better. You don't have to construct anything all you have to do is place the cable wire below the wall or at corner of the ceiling to look them cool and organize and and don't forget to place U-nails to make the cable intact. Go go go enjoy surfing and hope to pass your project on time.

• downvote
    You have to sign in to answer a question, sign up if you don't have an account.

Hot Topics
    sweetjenny13 NO Audio Output Device installed
    TrevorKith What are your hobbies?
    chamine How to wipe/erase hard drive from CMD prompt?
    TrevorKith Traveling to paris
    grems What are some good templates for architects you can recommend me?
    Christian_Coutu Google search issue
    hphillpotts Windows 10 update screwed my computer
    grems Cheap gift ideas?
    nathanq Have your say on net neutrality.
    Casetes Do you date in the Internet?
    Recent users who have won rewards.
    ahmed58 won $1
    chakramed won $1
    ha14 won $5
    chakramed won $1
    ha14 won $1
    chakramed won $1
    chakramed won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    yanka457 won $1
    MAKEROFMONY2 won $1
    Latest Topics
    jordianz Walk me through how you might derive the black-scholes formula by using a real options approach
    TrevorKith Where do sugar daddies meet their sugar babies?
    grems Are sugar baby relationships that gross?
    Casetes Do you date in the Internet?
    nathanq Have your say on net neutrality.
    Praeses Programm-Übertragung
    Casetes Do you use some corporate gifts?
    TrevorKith What are your hobbies?
    grems Cheap gift ideas?
    djmarkm2k14 HOWTO GET FREE ANTIVIRUS FREE FOR LIFE - ALSO OTHER APPS FOR FREE WITHOUT PAYING
    Get free dollars by installing euask App.